WhatsApp is one of the most popular messaging apps used by Brian Acton and Jan Koum (former employees of Yahoo). They launched WhatsApp in August 2009 on the App Store and in 2010 on the Google Play Store. By early 2013, WhatsApp had hit 200 million active users, and the company’s value rose to $ 1.5B after completing a Series B round with Sequoia in the middle of this year. A year later, Facebook acquired WhatsApp for $ 19B. This is a unique milestone because this is its biggest acquisition ever. So, Why WhatsApp is the best social media? And is WhatsApp a social media? Let’s discuss on this.
Usage of WhatsApp
Today, WhatsApp is used by more than 2B users worldwide as a means of communication through text messages and media. WhatsApp is a free, multi-platform messaging app that allows users to make videos, voice calls, send text messages, share their status, and much more with a Wi-Fi connection. This application is fascinating. It works on various phones and computer operating systems. So the user can continue their conversations anytime, anywhere. It takes advantage of Wi-Fi and cellular data to make individual or group calls. This reduces the need for expensive call charges.
WhatsApp will have 2B monthly active users by March 2020. This has become the third most popular social network worldwide.
What are the reasons why WhatsApp is one of the best social networking apps?
- No charges that are, complimentary messages and calls
- Being able to exchange messages securely.
- Easy sharing of photos/videos with friends
- Being able to join a group or group to chat with a large group of people at once.
- Ability to easily connect with people on the contact list of the user who has WhatsApp installed at any time.
Considering the above, WhatsApp is currently the leading choice for online communication.
What happens if something goes wrong?
WhatsApp uses super-strong end-to-end encryption for text, chat, and video calls.
WhatsApp will never read a user’s messages or view his calls. But there is another side to this. That’s Facebook. It is a notorious company for its vast and dubious ethical data collection. It currently owns WhatsApp. This means that a lot of metadata, purchase history, and information about it can be captured and shared with WhatsApp’s business advertising, such as location, device ID, and more. People looking for a real privacy-focused messaging app can find better alternatives like Signal and Threema.
Aside from sending messages, it is worth considering the role of WhatsApp in spreading misinformation. In 2020, WhatsApp became a significant source of misinformation about the coronary virus, and world leaders called the app. When WhatsApp began to limit the number of times people could frequently send content to five conversations at once, steps were taken to stop the flow of misinformation, but it was not a very successful method.
Misinformation is a problem these days, and it is essential for everyone to be aware and do their best not to worsen.
Disadvantages of WhatsApp
WhatsApp has no option to hide from specific users and no ability to send regular incoming mail on a mobile phone. Anyone is at risk of reading a message intended only by the user, which often leads to problems in a happy relationship.
Is WhatsApp’s new policy unfavorable?
The user’s private conversations or calls will not be visible to any third party or Facebook as these are encrypted from end to end.
Positive effects of WhatsApp
- Information can be shared.
- WhatsApp has become a significant source of news in several countries.
- Helping users connect, even across continents.
- WhatsApp has now become a pseudo-e-learning platform.
- User information is more secure due to encryption from the secure end of WhatsApp.
- WhatsApp does not advertise, so it does not divert attention like other social platforms.
- Being able to run a business opportunity using WhatsApp.
WhatsApp with the best features?
- GBWhatsApp is one of the most popular WhatsApp mods out there.
- WhatsApp Plus comes with WhatsApp Plus (WAPlus), another high-end WhatsApp model that the user can try to use on his Android phone.
- WhatsApp has set a time limit for deleting messages.
- Backflow controls are set up for audio messages.
- Last seen, can set privacy for the profile photo.
- It has also developed as a photo editor.
- It can also be used to make stickers for mobile apps.
Because of all the above features, WhatsApp has become one of the best social media.
Also Read: Why use WhatsApp instead of iMessage – WhatsApp vs iMessage Comparison.